DizzyDoo 23 hours ago | unvote [-]I write (program, paint, animate, market, and so on) computer games like this one1. The recent economic troubles haven’t effected me negatively that much, instead it’s been a positive thing as more people are home and playing more games. I don’t necessarily want to ‘profit’ from all the hardship around, but I’m glad to provide products that entertain and hopefully make the current situation a bit more bearable – that feels good.I got started over 10 years ago now, making Flash-based games and licensing them to various web portal and publishers, which was good money for a student back then! A little indie game developer golden age where you’d get a lot of players and also a few thousand dollars per game without too much trouble. I went on from there doing self-published games that anyone can buy on Steam or the Mac Store, both of which provide about 90% of my revenue, and the remaining 10% are from smaller stores and game distributors.1https://store.steampowered.com/app/654960/The_Eldritch_Zooke… <- My current project.
I used to work as a software engineer and started developing and trading automated strategies in my spare time in 2006. I went full time in 2007 and have been profitable every quarter since. AMAAEdit: I’ve gotten a few personal requests for mentoring. I’m not really in the business of teaching, but if you have some kind of prowess whether it be computer science, math, stats, I can teach you a few things, if you teach me a few things.Edit2: Will be back during lunch hours.
This series is all about neural network programming and PyTorch! We’ll start out with the basics of PyTorch and CUDA and understand why neural networks use GPUs. We then move on to cover the tensor fundamentals needed for understanding deep learning before we dive into neural network architecture. From there, we’ll go through the details of training a network, analyzing results, tuning hyperparameters, and using TensorBoard with PyTorch for visual analytics!
Goal of this tutorial:Understand PyTorch’s Tensor library and neural networks at a high level.Train a small neural network to classify imagesThis tutorial assumes that you have a basic familiarity of numpy
Many travelers consider packing for a trip to be the most stressful part of the adventure, especially when little kids are involved and you have to decide what is truly essential and what isn’t. There’s no exact science to knowing what and how much to bring, especially if you’re going on a longer trip. Weather …
If you’re considering algo trading as a career then be sure to talk to a lot of people doing it. I spent several years trying to break in to the industry at a few prop firms with only middling success. Here are my observations:1. The vast majority of firms only hire people with CS or math degrees from top 10 schools, with an MS being the minimum. There are few exceptions.2. Nobody is making as much money as they used to.3. Depending on what firm you end up at you will probably spend a lot less time building cool strategies and a lot more time trying to shave off a few microseconds here and there.4. Be prepared for a pretty rough work environment. Swearing, violent outbursts, people being secretive and not sharing ideas.5. If you’re lucky, management will be STEM people. If you’re not, they will be former floor traders who have managed to stay alive this long.
An important point to note here is that automated trading does not mean it is free from human intervention. Automated trading has caused the focus of human intervention to shift from the process of trading to a more behind-the-scenes role, which involves devising newer alpha-seeking strategies on a regular basis.